Director of Booking
Company: Target Center
AEG Worldwide is the world’s leading sports and live entertainment company with operations in the following business segments:
- AEG Facilities, which with its affiliates owns, manages or consults with more than 120 venues
- AEG Presents, which is one of the largest live music companies in the world dedicated to live contemporary music performances, including producing and promoting global and regional concert tours, music events and world-renowned festivals
- AEG Sports, which is the world’s largest operator of sports franchises and high-profile sporting events
- AEG Global Partnerships, which supports each of AEG’s divisions through worldwide sales and servicing of sponsorships including naming rights, premium seating and other strategic partnerships
- AEG Real Estate, which develops major sports and entertainment districts worldwide
With offices on five continents, the company uses its global network of venues, portfolio of powerful sports and music brands, ticketing and content distribution platforms and its integrated entertainment districts to deliver the most creative and innovative live sports and entertainment experiences that inspire athletes, teams, artists and fans.
This Director of Booking position is located at Target Center in Minneapolis, MN. Home of the MN Timberwolves and MN Lynx.
The Director of Booking is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and directing all activities related to booking the arena and its ancillary spaces. He/she will work to assertively promote the use of Target Center to maximize its utilization and negotiate lease agreements as needed and in the best interests of the facility.
EVENT BOOKING & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT:
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities related to booking the arena and ancillary spaces in agreement with GM.
- Assertively promotes the use of the facility to maximize its utilization and negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facility.
- Directs the procurement of activities and events; negotiates contracts and agreements with industry agents, promoters; and liaises with AEG Facilities event booking department.
- Interfaces with promoters, talent booking and marketing teams at Target Center Arena and AEG Facilities to coordinate booking schedules, artist relationships, and ticket sale planning and event settlements.
- Provides input on branding and marketing efforts, including sales collateral and show related marketing, not limited to print, press, tradeshows, and the venue’s social media outlets.
- Participates in the determination of event staffing requirements.
- Develops and pursues new events for the arena, including (but not limited to) new touring events and types not currently hosted at the arena. An emphasis is placed on creating new, unique events including local, regional, national and international sporting events, concerts, comedy, family entertainment and special events.
- Works with GM to develop and manage a comprehensive program to maximize the use of meeting spaces and catering facilities within the arena, where applicable.
- Coordinates booking efforts and activities with Marketing, Box Office, Operations, Finance and Human Resources through communications and regular staff meetings.
BUDGET PREPARATION & REPORTING
- Oversees development of annual event calendar, activity schedules, dates and hours of even operation, and projections for attendance and revenue.
- Implements and monitors a detailed program budget, supervises cost accounting required of events to include facility rental, ancillary revenue streams, and event-related expenses upon advisement of the GM.
- Prepares, implements and monitors a detailed operating budget and financial reporting system as outlined by AEG for all applicable revenues and expenses for the arena.
- Assists with preparing and maintaining any required and necessary reports/records for the client and/or AEG Facilities.
Required Qualifications (Job Knowledge, Skills, and Education):
- A minimum education level of: BA/BS Degree (4-year) (Advanced Degree preferred)
- A minimum of 7 years of related work experience
- Experience working with sports, entertainment and corporate organizations to attract and develop events at an arena or comparable facility
- Event sales and marketing experience
- Proven history of supervising teams and demonstrating strong leadership abilities
- Proven track record of developing and managing budgets
- Must be a self-starter and have ability to work under minimal supervision
- Demonstrated track record in forging relationships with community assets, including Convention and Visitors Bureaus, Chambers of Commerce, and local boards of directors. Active business community involvement.
- Experience developing or working with existing community sports authority or sports commissioners.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel); ability to learn required business systems
- Able to work flexible hours, including nights/weekends/holidays in addition to normal business hours, as needed
- Perform additional duties at the venue and/or for AEG Facilities as required by the GM or senior management.
Preferred Qualifications (if applicable):
- Working knowledge of all aspects of the operation of a major NBA arena
- Working knowledge of event and box office operations
- Working knowledge of food and beverage operations and revenue streams
AEG reserves the right to change or modify the employee’s job description whether orally or in writing, at any time during the employment relationship. AEG may require an employee to perform duties outside his/her normal description.