About Target Center
Located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis’ vibrant sports and entertainment district, Target Center is proud home to the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves, and four-time WNBA world champion Minnesota Lynx. Over 1 million guests visit the arena every year - making Target Center one of the top arenas in the world.
Target Center recently completed a MAJOR renovation - transforming the venue into a state-of-the art arena. Totaling $145 Million, the project encompassed infrastructural improvements, guest experience enhancements and aesthetic changes on all levels of the arena . The renovation project was a joint venture between the Minnesota Timberwolves/Lynx, City of Minneapolis and AEG Facilities. To learn more about Target Center's renovation, click here.
Target Center opened in October 1990. The facility is owned by the City of Minneapolis and managed privately by ASM Global. Target has been the naming rights partner of the arena since its opening.
- Target Center has greeted over 36 million guests and hosted more than 5,000 events since it opened on October 13, 1990.
- 35 members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have played Target Center in its history - including Minnesota music legends Prince and Bob Dylan.
- The largest production in the arena's history was the Radio City Christmas Spectacular featuring the Rockettes in 2008; the production included 31 trucks and 13 busses.
- The event with the highest attendance in the arena's history was the 2005 U2 concert totaling 20,200 fans.
- In 2009, Target Center became the 1st arena in North America to install a green roof. The arena’s green roof is the 5th largest extensive green roof in the nation and at the time of the design, the largest green roof in the state of Minnesota. The roof will capture nearly 1 million gallons of storm water to prevent drainage into the Mississippi River.
- Target Center was the first arena in the country to ban smoking and prohibit tobacco ads; these activities have never been permitted.
- Target Center has one of only two moveable arena floors in the country and it can be fully raised or lowered in 25 minutes; the floor raises 5 feet to maximize guest sight lines.
- Target Center is situated on 1½ square blocks, encompassing 831,533 sq. ft.
- The arena is within three blocks to over 12,000 parking spots - the majority of which are connected by skyway.
- 160,000 sq. ft of Target Center's basement is occupied by the Life Time Fitness -Target Center Arena Club.
Click here for more information on Target Center.
Target Center’s original owners, Marv Wolfenson and Harvey Ratner, owned and operated the venue and the Minnesota Timberwolves for the first 5 years. In March of 1995, Harv and Marv sold the arena to the City of Minneapolis and Ogden Entertainment was brought on board to manage the facility. Ogden Entertainment managed the facility until September 22, 2000 when the management rights were acquired by SFX Entertainment.
In early 2001, Clear Channel Entertainment bought SFX Entertainment and the facility became part of the Clear Channel Entertainment family. Clear Channel Entertainment managed the venue and a Minneapolis based regional concert promoter office until May 2004. On May 1, 2004 a joint venture between the Minnesota Timberwolves organization joined forces with Los Angeles based concert promoter, Nederlander Concerts, to create Midwest Entertainment Group (MEG). At that time, this joint venture stepped in as the venue manager. This partnership oversaw the day-to-day operation and booking of Target Center until spring 2006. In May of 2006, Midwest Entertainment Group (MEG) shifted from the joint venture partnership to 100% ownership by the Minnesota Timberwolves organization.
On May 2, 2007 AEG Facilities, now ASM Global, assumed the management contract of Target Center. The City of Minneapolis continues to own the arena while ASM Global manages its day-to-day operations. Target Center is part of an elite venue network of ASM Global.
About ASM Global
ASM Global was formed in October 2019 from the merger of AEG Facilities, the global innovator in live entertainment venues, and SMG, the gold standard in event management. ASM Global is a venue management powerhouse that spans five continents, 14 countries and more than 300 of the world’s most prestigious arenas, stadiums, convention and exhibit centers, and performing arts venues. As the world’s most trusted venue manager, ASM Global provides venue strategy and management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services. Among the venues in our portfolio are landmark facilities such as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, the Los Angeles Convention Center, Tele2 Arena in Stockholm, the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans and the Shenzhen World Exhibition and Conference Centre in Shenzhen, China. ASM Global also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions and catering companies. Learn more at www.asmglobal.com